2015/03/20

Passover Letter

Greetings to you in the name of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ and my prayers to you for a blessed Passover. 

Most everyone has seen the Charlton Heston classic, the 10 Commandments.  It reenacts the great deliverance God gave to His chosen people in freeing them from slavery and misery.  This deliverance is celebrated every year at this time of the Passover. 

The deliverance of the Jews from captivity was a foreshadowing of what Jesus Christ did for us through His death and resurrection that occurred at this same time.  Just as the Hebrews had to put the blood of the lamb on the doorposts so that death would pass them over, so too Jesus Christ was the lamb of God whose shed blood delivers us from death unto eternal life.

When Jesus and His disciples were in the upper room, it was the passover meal they were celebrating.  The breaking of bread and the drinking of the wine that we are told to do in His remembrance were a part of that very same passover meal.  It is to remind us that Jesus sacrificed himself and shed his blood so that we could be delivered.  Through Jesus is the only way that we may be reconciled with our creator.  If we do not have His blood on the doorposts of our hearts, we cannot be delivered.

I was 18 when I first truly understood this and believed on Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, giving my life over to Him.  It's been a long journey since that time, and not always an easy one.  When we truly believe on Jesus and turn over our lives to Him, our lives begin to be reshaped to conform us to the image of the Son.  Every step of the way we are blessed.  We certainly don't become instantly perfect and often struggle and battle during the process of renewal.

I don't know where you stand in your relationship with our creator, but I do pray that this passover season God reveals himself to you in ways you never saw before.  If you don't know Him, may that blessing be the revealing of Jesus Christ and what He has done for you.  If you already know Him and believe, may you be blessed with greater closeness and understanding of His ways, and a new boldness to be open about Him.

Luke 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

No comments: